Google's Buzz Gets Stoned @ the WMC
Please click on visuals for related content.
As compared to getting high on the excitement with Google Buzz's answer to Facebook, the company's CEO was put in a position of almost dodging rocks and stones from privacy evangelists at this week's World Mobile Congress in Barcelona.
During Google chief executive Eric Schmidt's introduction of the company's major introduction into social media, he was immediately put on the defense from users who complained about privacy invasions by Google Buzz. Moving almost as fast as the speed of light, the company listened and acted toward assuaging critics who were intent on creating negative buzz days after the products roll-out.
According to Schmidt, "Since Tuesday we have made a series of changes to the product which make some very fundamental changes in the way that you initially experience it, in particular instead of automatically following everybody it now gives you a list of who you ant to follow and it makes it incredibly explicit that it has not been giving them information without you giving it to them."
Earlier on Tuesday, Buzz product manager Todd Jackson had told the BBC that the company was "very, very sorry" and that users were "rightfully upset". Schmidt also acknowledged that the company had been making changes to the service in order to allay people's fears.
According to the Britain-based Guardian News and Media reported on guardian.co.uk that among the most notable critics of Google Buzz's potential to invade privacy was a blogger going by the pseudonym Harriet Jacobs, who said that she was a marital rape survivor and had had her privacy invaded because the system thought she would like to be connected to her former husband.